Date: april 2018
Location: Ceremony: botanical gardens / reception: deckhouse
· To create a sustainable wedding that has a limited footprint on the environment.
· To recycle and/or re-purpose as much décor and styling as possible post wedding.
· The bouquets and button holes to be made from flowers/materials that can be re-purposed after the wedding.
· A hanging feature must be incorporated within the reception decor.
(e.g. what was unique, what was the concept, did we problem-solve/how did we overcome challenges, how did we accomplish the brief, what technologies did we use, etc.)
· Ceremony: we focused on the natural beauty of the Botanic Gardens and made sure the setting became the key feature of the ceremony.
· The bouquets and button holes were made from succulents that were planted post wedding in the family’s garden as a reminder of the special day.
· Reception: the centrepieces consisted of potted plants that guests took home to re-plant. They were dressed in a recycled burlap, which tied into the look and feel of the wedding.
· We designed a stunning hanging feature that consisted of luscious foliage. After the wedding, our floral designer transformed it into arrangements that were sent to the groom’s Grandmothers’ community. They were so happy!
· Instead of a customary gift registry, Laila and Jono asked their guests to donate to a Ugandan charity that provides safe water access for children in Kaberamaido, Uganda.
(e.g. did we get nominated for an award, how successful was the social media reach, was the client happy, have we gotten repeat work due to our successes, etc.)
· Raised $8.5k for the Ugandan charity Surge
· Bride and groom were so happy with the outcome of their special day and were thankful that we designed a wedding that was beautiful, yet had a strong sustainable focus.
thank you thisspace for the contribution to surge and for the amazing work on your wedding.
And, the results were…
“It was a fantastic experience getting the opportunity to work on a sustainable project as there is a real focus within the industry on the importance of limiting our footprint with each event produced. Working with clients that wanted to focus on this, whilst still having a traditional look to their wedding was really special”.